This is the ideal option for an Easter brunch. Both little ones and grown ups love them! When the eggs are done properly, with a runny yolk, nothing is better than dipping your soldiers into them. In this post, you will also have some new soldiers to try…
More than a recipe, this post is an invitation to remember a childhood favourite (my 5 year old can’t get enough of them!).
Sometimes the simplest of recipes make us the happiest!
Portion: 1 Prep Time: 7 minutes
1 medium egg at room temperature
salt and pepper
1 medium saucepan
1 sharp knife
1 long spoon
1 small cup
1. Fill a small saucepan with water. Put on the hob over a medium heat and bring to the boil.
2. Once the water is boiling, put the egg into the saucepan using a spoon.
3. As soon as the water comes back to the boil, set the timer for 4 minutes. This guarantees a runny yolk.
4. After 4 minutes take the egg out of the saucepan and put it into an egg cup.
5. Cut out the top the egg using a sharp knife.
6. Eat immediately with buttered bread or with your favourite soldiers.
Ideas for ingredients that are delicious with eggs!
The Classic: Slices of toasted bread with butter (cut into stripes)
The Italian: Fresh Ciabatta bread with butter and truffle salt (or truffle olive oil)
The American: A Toastie sandwich filled with your favourite cheese (cheddar, blue, gouda, mozzarella, etc) and cut into stripes.
The Low-Carb: Bacon-wrapped al dente asparagus soldiers. Wrap bacon around the cooked asparagus and grill them in the oven until the bacon looks golden and crispy.
The French: Pain de Campagne with butter and smoked salmon cut into stripes.
The Vegetarian: Al dente cooked Asparagus
The Healthy Veggie: Wholemeal bread with mashed avocado and salt (a bit messy!)
Have a delicious brunch! Xx